Court Farm has been in our family since the 18th century, being handed down from one generation to another. The farm is set on the Somerset levels, it has always had good quality grazing land ideal for beef, sheep and dairy.
In the early years, the main income came from the selling of milk, young lambs going to market, beef that was sold to local butchers or at a market and the eggs that were either sold at the farm gates or collected weekly and sold on again.
In June 1939, Court Farm which was then owned by Mrs. A.S. Bown (Great Grannie), produced 3,069 gallons (13,810 litres) of milk. It was the largest producer of the 45 dairy farms in the village of East Huntspill.
In 2001, when the country was in the grip of foot and mouth, Stuart (the farmer) decided diversification was needed to take the farm forward. Hence in 2002, we took over the ‘W. Higgs’ Butchers at Puriton, and the name ‘Court Farm Butchers’ came from the farm which had been in our family for years.
Court Farm now produces top quality beef and lamb from the large suckler herd and sheep flock, some of which have carried of victories at local and national shows.
Young Percy, Stuart’s son keeps hens which produce the free range eggs available for sale at the shop. Ann makes ready meals, pies and faggots.
With the expertise of our great butchers we have and had, we have grown from strength to strength and a visit to the shop if not done, is a must.